The Internet is very accessible by everyone! Therefore; certain rules should be followed to keep you and others safe while blogging. This is my code of conduct and the rules I intend to follow.
Rule #1: NEVER give out personal information! Don't post your phone number or home address. People you don't want to get this information can and will, it's open to everyone who has a computer.
Rule #2: Whatever you put on the Internet stays on the Internet, even if you delete it it's hard to permanently erase. 10 years from now you could be applying for a school or a job and your employer tries to find you on the Internet. What if they don't like what they see? Be very proud always of what you post.
Rule #3: Never put a link on your blog to something you haven't entirely read or checked out! Something on there could be harmful or inappropriate and you wouldn't know because you haven't read it yet.
Rule #4: Never harass any one online even if it is only a joke. Someone could see it and you could be punished by the law.
Comments you leave on other blogs are also read by everyone and you should make sure those are appropriate as well. Along with following the four rules listed above here are some tips to good, safe commenting.
Always read a blog that states someone's opinion about something with an open mind. When you comment it shouldn't just be some fun casual conversation, it's an educated question or opinion greatly considering the post.
Ask questions. Why don't you understand this part? What is confusing to you? Ask them to elaborate on one subject or ask them why they feel that way about that certain decision.
Give opinions. Do you agree or disagree with them? Why or why not? Give a well thought out answer with good examples and ideas why you feel that way.
Some good entries to commenting are:
This reminds me of...
This is similar to..
I wonder...
I realized...
You can relate this to...
I'd like to know...
I'm surprised that...
If I were_______, I would...
If_______ then....
Although it seems...
I'm not sure that...
Begin your comment by quoting part of the post or another comment about the post so the reader knows what you are talking about. Elaboration is the most important when you are trying to make a point. Questions keep the conversationg going. Don't be afraid to disagree or voice your opinion to another post. When someone does disagree with you don't get offended, listen to their opinions. Be sure to respond and let your challengers know they have influenced your thinking.
Please consider these rules of safe blogging while you are posting and commenting. The Internet is very public.
For more information about safe blogging this is a great site:
http://www.staysafeonline.org
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wondered and I realized where you got those tips. They sound familiar. I enjoyed some of those tips because internet is permenent and it would not be good to post something that is innapropriate.
ReplyDelete